A famous cheese because of its acidic and spicy flavor is white cheddar. It goes well with a variety of cuisines and is adaptable. But what if you are unable to consume dairy products? Fortunately, there are other options. This article will discuss some top white cheddar replacements and how to utilize them.
What is White Cheddar Cheese
To understand the alternatives, let’s first explain what white cheddar cheese is. A hard cheese made from cow’s milk called “white cheddar” lacks annatto, which gives cheddar cheese its distinctive orange color. Depending on how old the cheese is, cheddar can range in color from white to yellow and originates in the English village of Cheddar in Somerset.
White cheddar cheese has a strong and tangy taste. It gets stronger with time. You can use it for macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, and salads.
Substitutes for White Cheddar Cheese
If you want something like white cheddar cheese, you have some options. Here are some of the best ones to try:
1. Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
Sharp white cheddar cheese can be used interchangeably with white cheddar cheese and has a similar tangy, sharp flavor. The color, which varies depending on the brand used, can be the sole difference.
2. Monterey Jack Cheese
Monterey White cheddar cheese can be replaced with jack cheese. It is a touch softer and creamier but still has a moderate, comparable flavor. It’s ideal for foods that require simple melting, such grilled cheese sandwiches.
3. Gouda Cheese
The semi-hard cheese known as “Gouda” comes from the Netherlands. It has a flavor that is nutty and buttery, like white cheddar cheese. White cheese can be swapped out for gouda.
4. Parmesan Cheese
Although Parmesan cheese on its own is not a suitable replacement for white cheddar cheese, it can be blended with other cheeses to achieve a similar taste. One option is to combine Parmesan cheese with Monterey Jack cheese, resulting in a blend that has a tangy and sharp flavor similar to white cheddar.
5. Vegan Cheese
Several vegan options can serve as a substitute for white cheddar cheese if you are looking for a dairy-free alternative. These substitutes are made from plant-based ingredients and are available in various textures and flavors. Some of the best vegan white cheddar cheese substitutes include:
- Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
- Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cheddar
- Violife Just Like Cheddar
How to Use White Cheddar Substitutes
If you’re wondering how to use the white cheddar cheese substitutes that were mentioned earlier, here are a few tips for incorporating them into your favorite dishes.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches: Try sharp white cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese when making a grilled cheese sandwich instead of white cheddar. These cheeses melt easily and taste similar to white cheddar.
- Macaroni and Cheese: You can use Gouda cheese or a mix of Parmesan and Monterey Jack cheese instead of white cheddar in macaroni and cheese. These cheeses taste like nuts and butter, which goes great with pasta.
- Salads: For salads, you can use vegan cheddar cheese substitutes like Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds or Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cheddar. These types of cheese add a yummy taste and creamy texture to salads.
White cheddar cheese, a frequently used cheese in many meals, can be replaced with a wide variety of ingredients. There are several substitutes to pick from, whether you need a dairy-free option or don’t have white cheddar on hand. You can look at several products that suit your preferences and nutritional needs, such as vegan cheese and sharp white cheddar cheese. Try out various replacements to find the ideal ones to utilize in your favorite recipes.